Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water by Marc Reisner

A friend just recommended that I read Marc Reisner's Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water (click here to read the author's obituary as printed in the New York Times).

I'm not a water-rights activist or anything like that but I did enjoy Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World’s Water by Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke and am concerned about the future of our water supply.

First published in 1986, Cadillac Desert was a National Book Critics Circle Award finalist and in 1999 it was placed sixty-first on the Modern Library list of the most notable nonfiction English books of the twentieth century.

Mark Reisner is also a co-author of Overtapped Oasis: Reform or Revolution for Western Water.

Anyway, I tried to put it on hold at my local library (since I try to borrow books and read them before purchasing) but they don't carry it.

Has anyone read Cadillac Desert?

I found the Table of Contents online:
Introduction: A Semidesert with a Desert Heart
Chapter One: A Country of Illusion
Chapter Two: The Red Queen
Chapter Three: First Causes
Chapter Four: An American Nile (I)
Chapter Five: The Go-Go Years
Chapter Six: Rivals in Crime
Chapter Seven: Dominy
Chapter Eight: An American Nile (II)
Chapter Nine: The Peanut Farmer and the Pork Barrel
Chapter Ten: Chinatown
Chapter Eleven: Those Who Refuse to Learn...
Chapter Twelve: Things Fall Apart
Epilogue: A Civilization, If You Can Keep It
Afterword to the Revised Edition
Acknowledgments
Notes and Bibliography
Index

But I'm looking to hear a few more good things before I go out and purchase this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment