Sunday, May 18, 2008

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: Asparagus and Morel Bread Pudding

I love to eat fruits and vegetables. I love a good steak too but something about how my mother cooked has made me especially enjoy fruits and vegetables.

Mangoes, lychees, guava, persimmon, papaya, pomelo, nectarines, and clementines are among my favorite fruits.

As for vegetables, I love just about any greens sauteed in garlic, onions and oil. I especially love artichokes, Japanese eggplant, taro (kalo), avocado (technically a stone fruit) and Okinawan sweet potato. And I love asparagus and have been known to eat an entire platter at a time.

And mushrooms are probably my favorite food full-stop (click here to read my entry on Part III of The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan to find out more about my mushroom obsession).

So when I read this recipe for Asparagus and Morel Bread Pudding on page 84-85 of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver with Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver, I was dying to try it! (By the way, click here to read all of my posts related to this book.)

I substituted a variety of reconstituted dried mushrooms for the morels and increased the amount of mushrooms and let me tell you it is every bit as good as it sounds. :)

I haven't tried any of the other recipes yet but I want to make the Pumpkin Soup in its Own Shell, Holiday Corn Pudding a Nine-Year Old Can Make, Chicken Recuerdos de Tuscon, and Cherry Sorbet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment