Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Type I (versus Type X)


Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
I'm very intrigued by Daniel H Pink's Type I description, as written in Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us.
Where Type X (extrinsic motivation) is the center of Motivation 2.0, Type I (intrinsic motivation) is the center of Motivation 3.0. Here's more about Type I:
  • Type I behavior is made, not born. 
  • Type I's almost always outperform Type X's in the long run. 
  • Type I behavior does not disdain money or recognition. 
  • Type I behavior is a renewable resource.
  • Type I behavior promotes greater physical and mental well-being.
Ultimately, Type I behavior depends on three nutrients: autonomy, mastery, and purpose. Type I behavior is self-directed. It is devoted to becoming better at something that matters. And it connects that quest for excellence to a larger purpose. 
Some might dismiss notions like these as gooey and idealistic, but the science says otherwise. The science confirms that this sort of behavior is essential to being human -- and that now, in a rapidly changing economy, it is also critical for professional, personal, and organizational success of any kind.  
So we have a choice. We can cling to a view of human motivation that is grounded more in old habits than in modern science. Or we can listen to the research, drag our business and personal practices into the twenty-first century, and craft a new operating system to help ourselves, our companies, and our world work a little better. 
It won't be easy. It won't happen overnight. So let's get started. 
Doesn't it sound so inspiring?

Click here to view all my posts on Daniel Pink's Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us.



0 comments:

Post a Comment