Monday, July 7, 2008

Permaculture & "Green" Books

Last night, I mentioned to an acquaintance my attempt at vegetable gardening and my enjoyment of Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, Michael Pollan’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals and Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben and she recommended four books:

The last one seems a bit too fearful for me -- I don't think Armageddon is in our near future -- but the others sound interesting.

Not sure if I'll pick them up but I'd be interested in hearing what other folks have to say about these books!

1 comments:

pbrazelton said...

If you're just getting into permaculture, I'd recommend Toby Hemenway's "Gaia's Garden" over Jacke's books. It's much more easily accessible, and focuses more precisely on urban-scale design. This isn't to disparage Jacke's books; Edible Forest Gardens I & II are the ultimate temperate design texts to date - I would even suggest them over Mollison's design manual. They are, however, a huge commitment in time. I'd rather people pick up a shorter, more readable book and get the concepts than pick up a giant two volume set and give up twenty pages in.

Post a Comment