Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot

Last weekend I read Michael Talbot's The Holographic Universe, a New Age book based on the work of physicist David Bohm and neurophysiologist Karl Pribram.

While it was certainly interesting to read, this book and the science behind it was unconvincing. It seemed to me that the book was more interested in describing paranormal phenomenon and stating that the only explanation of such events is that we live in a holographic universe.

I'm open to the idea that paranormal phenomenon (out of body experiences, near death experiences, psychokinesis, past life memories, etc) may exist, but Talbot's writing did not make it clear how such phenomenon proves the holographic universe idea.

Also, Talbot explained basic quantum physics as I learned it in high school and at MIT but I did not think his use of these principles provided adequate support for his argument.

I'll have to research some of the scientists and their research to better assess the truth of this book.

Click here to read an article by the author that summarizes many of the ideas in this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment