Friday, July 11, 2008

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius

My favorite websites for free classic books is Bartleby.com. Named after the title character from Herman Melville's Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street -- one of my all-time short stories -- it was founded by by Steven H. van Leeuwen as a personal classic literature on the website of Columbia University. It's funded by revenue from web advertising which allows Bartleby.com to provide access to the collection free to users. On Bartleby.com, you can find books, poetry, quotations, presidential speeches, and more.

Last night I decided to take advantage of this fabulous website and read part of Marcus Aurelius's Meditations, available on bartleby.com here. Written in 167 A.C.E., it is truly an amazing work. It's easy to see why it is still revered as a literary monument to a government of service and duty.

I think I may finally purchase a copy for my exceedingly large collection of books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment