Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Starbucks Store Closing

As I'm sure you've heard, Starbucks announced on July 1 that it will close 600 "underperforming" stores in the U.S. and lay of nearly 12,000 employees -- approximately 70 percent of these stores were opened since the beginning of fiscal 2006.

An just last week, I found out that my favorite Starbucks store -- the closest location to my house -- will be one of those stores.

Why do I care?

Starbucks is one of the places outside of my home that I enjoy reading.

Oftentimes, I'll spend an afternoon at Starbucks in one of their cushy chairs with a book and a Caramel Macchiato.

I have no doubt that this is the right decision for Starbucks -- there are at least 5 Starbucks locations within 2 miles of my home.

But will I still read at Starbucks if they continue to close more stores near my home? Probably not -- the used bookstore near my house has lots more space and unlimited free coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment