Monday, July 7, 2008

Arthur & George by Julian Barnes - Book Club Discussion

Last month I read Julian Barnes's Arthur & George for one of my book clubs (click here to read all entries related to this book) and we've just started discussing it.

While I enjoyed the book, my lit sisters were less than impressed with it. Generally, they thought the book was well constructed, well researched but tedious to read.

My book club found George's character and his family incredibly boring, though most did feel sorry for him once Arthur became involved in his defense.

However, I was in agreement with the group that George Edalji's father's refusal to defend his son against the terrible accusations made against him, the family's bizarre sleeping arrangements, and their total denial about any racial motivation behind the strange persecution they lived with for years were baffling.

The discussion continues this week . . .

1 comments:

Murder of Ravens said...

I, too, am reading “Arthur and George”. It was given to me as a Christmas present by my boss, of all people, who knows I am a devotee of all things Conan Doyle. Although I’m only on page 100 or so, I must say I’m enjoying it very much. Barnes is an excellent author, with a love of language which reminds me of John Banville.

-smith

Post a Comment