Friday, August 8, 2008

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

I've just received a copy of All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew which should be helpful with my fall vegetable garden. So far I'm planting from seed (from Seeds of Change, Meyer Seed Company of Baltimore, and Johnny's Selected Seeds):

I'd also like to get some sweet potatoes, fingerling and new potatoes, asparagus, and strawberries next year and garlic, onions, and Chinese cabbage in my fall garden this year. I'm looking at:

And I also want to look into planting taro (also known as elephant ears or kalo).

While my summer fruit and vegetable garden with yellow pear and grape tomatoes, full size tomatoes, summer squash plants, eggplant, and much more turned out quite well without much help -- just Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, Michael Pollan’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals and Bill McKibben's Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future -- I'm eager to learn more and expand my gardening efforts.

I would welcome any recommendations for books similar to these.

I've heard good things about Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting by R.J. Ruppenthal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment