Friday, August 29, 2008

Economist - Running dry

I'm a little behind on my subscription to the Economist.

Okay, I'm a lot behind.

Months behind.

But I'm going to catch up, starting with the August 23, 2008 issue. From this issue, I just finished the Business section including "Running dry."

As I've mentioned before, I've been seriously concerned about the world's water supply since 2003 when I read Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World’s Water by Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke. And having grown up on an island, water conservation and water rights have always been important to me.

My interest has been slowly increasing over the years and it seems like the issue of water is becoming a hotter and hotter subject with each month.

This article just reminded me that I've got to make it a priority to read Marc Reisner’s Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water (click here to read my posts related to this book) and Ken Midkiff's Not a Drop to Drink: America’s Water Crisis (and What You Can Do).

I hope the situation does not get as desperate as some experts foresee.

Got to run to the library!

0 comments:

Post a Comment