Thursday, May 22, 2008

Planting a Vegetable Garden

After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver with Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver and Michael Pollan's The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (and Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben), I decided to plant a vegetable garden.

I don't know the first thing about gardening. I did plant rosemary a few years ago and put it in everything I cooked that year. Still, that's the extent of my knowledge.

Well I went to Valley View Farms in Cockeysville, Maryland and bought:

I'd also like to get some strawberries, raspberries, and asparagus but apparently you have to buy those earlier in the year?

I don't know what got into me. I suppose reading about Renewing America’s Food Traditions: Saving and Savoring the Continent’s Most Endangered Foods by Gary Paul Nabhan also had an influence on me.

Wish me luck!

1 comments:

toujoursjacques said...

I do wish you luck. Way to go! Sometimes you just have to act on impulse, especially such wonderfully provoked ones. I can't imagine reading the books you've listed and NOT wanting to run right out and plant a garden. And what great choices you've made. I'll be looking forward to progress reports. If help via email would be useful you can email me at toujoursjacques at gmail dot com . I've been a veggie gardener a long, long time and would be more than willing to lend assistance. Enjoy!! TJ

Post a Comment