Monday, December 8, 2008

Guided Meditations for Looking Deeply and Releasing Anger

Wisdom for Cooling the Flames by Thich Nhat HanhI still need to write down my thoughts about Thich Nhat Hanh's Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames, but after sharing Appendix B (The Five Mindfulness Trainings) I'd like to also share the guided meditations found in Appendix C. But first, the instructions on guided meditation from Appendix C:
Begin with "Breathing in, I know I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know I am breathing out." Followed by the key words "In, out." You should always start with a few moments of mindful breathing to calm your mind. Use the first key word to accompany the in-breath, and the second key word to accompany the out-breath. Repeat these key words silently with your in- and out-breath in order to really touch the meaning of the meditation. Avoid saying the words mechanically; instead experience and feel them concretely. Allow eight to ten in- and out-breaths for each exercise, keeping the key words alive during each in- and out-breath.

Here are the guided meditations for Looking Deeply at Anger.
  1. Contemplating a person in anger, I breathe in.
    Seeing the suffering of that person, I breathe out.
    Angry person / Suffering
  2. Contemplating the damage from anger to self and others, I breathe in.
    Seeing that anger burns and destroys happiness, I breathe out.
    Anger harms self and others / Destroys happiness
  3. Seeing anger's roots in my body, I breathe in.
    Seeing anger's roots in my consciousness, I breathe out.
    Anger's roots in body / Anger's roots in consciousness
  4. Seeing the roots of anger in wrong perceptions and ignorance, breathe in.
    Smiling to my wrong perceptions and ignorance, I breathe out.
    Anger's roots in wrong perceptions and ignorance / Smiling
  5. Seeing the angry person suffer, I breathe in.
    Feeling compassion for the angry person who suffers, I breathe out.
    Angry person suffers / Feeling compassion
  6. Seeing the unfavorable environment and unhappiness of the angry person, I breathe in.
    Understanding the causes of this unhappiness, I breathe out.
    Angry person unhappy / Understanding unhappiness
  7. Seeing myself burned by the fire of anger, I breathe in.
    Feeling compassion for myself burning with anger, I breathe out.
    Burned by anger / Compassion for myself
  8. Knowing anger makes me look ugly, I breathe in.
    Seeing myself as the chief cause of my ugliness, I breathe out.
    Anger makes me ugly / I cause my ugliness
  9. Seeing when I am angry I am a burning house, I breathe in.
    Taking care of my anger and going back to myself, I breathe out.
    I am a burning house / Taking care of myself
  10. Contemplating helping the angry person, I breathe in.
    Seeing myself able to help the angry person, I breathe out.
    Helping angry person / Capable of helping

And here are the guided meditations for Releasing Anger and Healing Relations with Our Parents.
  1. Seeing myself as a five-year-old child, I breathe in.
    Smiling to the five-year-old child, I breathe out.
    Myself, five years old / Smiling
  2. Seeing the five-year-old child as a fragile and vulnerable, I breathe in.
    Smiling with love to the five-year-old child, I breathe out.
    Five-year-old, fragile / Smiling with love
  3. Seeing my father as a five-year-old boy, I breathe in.
    Smiling to my father as a five-year-old boy, I breathe out.
    Father, five years old / Smiling
  4. Seeing my five-year-old father as fragile and vulnerable, I breathe in.
    Smiling with love and understanding to my father as a five-year-old boy, I breathe out.
    Father, fragile and vulnerable / Smiling with love and understanding
  5. Seeing my mother as a five-year-old girl, I breathe in.
    Smiling to my mother as a five-year-old girl, I breathe out.
    Mother, five years old / Smiling
  6. Seeing my five-year-old mother as fragile and vulnerable, I breathe in.
    Smiling with love and understanding to my mother as a five-year-old girl, I breathe out.
    Mother, fragile and vulnerable / Smiling with love and understanding
  7. Seeing my father suffering as a child, I breathe in.
    Seeing my mother suffering as a child, I breathe out.
    Father, suffering as a child / Mother, suffering as a child.
  8. Seeing my father in me, I breathe in.
    Smiling to my father in me, I breathe out.
    Father in me / Smiling
  9. Seeing my mother in me, I breathe in.
    Smiling to my mother in me, I breathe out.
    Mother in me / Smiling
  10. Understanding the difficulties that my father in me has, I breathe in.
    Determined to work for the release of both my father and me, I breathe out.
    Difficulties of father in me / Releasing father and me
  11. Understanding the difficulties that my mother in me has, I breathe in.
    Determined to work for the release of both my mother and me, I breathe out.
    Difficulties of mother in me / Releasing mother and me

The guided meditation found in Appendix D (Deep Relaxation) is also quite something so I might share that another day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment