Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bonk by Mary Roach

I’ve been reading Mary Roach’s latest book, Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex (click here to read all my posts about this book).

After initially reading this in a public place (local Starbucks), I headed home when I realized I felt a bit uncomfortable reading a book about sex outside of the comfort of my own home.

Just read a few excerpts and you'll see what I mean.

Once I was at home, I felt free to laugh at the absurdity of the studies and Mary's own participation in some experiments. Did you know that pig's penises are shaped like corkscrews? And that they sell pig vibrators to farmers to help them artificially inseminate their cows? Or that pigs and men are the only mammals thought to fondle breasts during sex?

Bonk presents a wide variety of research on human sexuality too. Did you know that one woman out of 5,000 is born without a vagina? And that Marie Bonaparte found regarding the distance between the clitoris and urethra that for women with a measurement of less than 1 inch (69% of women) orgasm easily, while those with a measurement of greater than 1 inch (21% of women) have much trouble experiencing pleasure in sex, and those right around 1 inch (10% of women) go either way depending on the circumstances?

Mary Roach is a fantastic writer who knows no embarrassment and I look forward to finishing Bonk and wonder what her next subject matter will be!

0 comments:

Post a Comment