Monday, June 2, 2008

Arthur & George by Julian Barnes

I've been reading Arthur & George by Julian Barnes for one of my book clubs. I've only read maybe 20 pages into Part I, Beginnings, and I am captivated.

As I mentioned last month, Barnes spent a year researching the real life stories of George Edalji and Arthur Conan Doyle (creator of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson) before writing this novel of the relationship between these two men.

When you first start the book, you don't know who George and Arthur are (unless you've read a review or summary of the book as I had) but Barnes stories of Arthur's childhood provides clues that explain how Arthur came to be the creator of Sherlock Holmes. George's childhood is quite different from Arthur's and serves as a good contrast.

I'm looking forward to reading more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment