Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Secret History of the War on Cancer by Devra Davis

The Secret History of the War on CancerI'm reading The Secret History of the War on Cancer by Dr. Devra Lee Davis. Wow...this book almost makes you afraid of everything. Who knows, your shampoo and lipstick, the paint in your house, the pesticides used on the food you eat, the chemicals in processed meats, the air in your town, the water that you drink...they could all contain chemicals that cause cancer.

Fortunately, I'm not the paranoid type. From now on, I'll carefully read the list of ingredients on product labels, cut down my intake of processed meats (despite my love of pastrami and bacon), more or less quit drinking, purchase organic fruits and vegetables when the price difference is within reason, and just hope for the best.

I would definitely recommend this book to those who are surprised to hear that so many cancer causing agents were already identified by the early 1900s.

I've started A New Earth: awakening to your life's purpose by Eckhart Tolle, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. Will write more as I get further into each book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment