Sunday, June 15, 2008

My First Vegetable Garden

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, after reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, Michael Pollan’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals and Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben, I went out and bought plants for my first vegetable garden.

I visited my local used bookstore today and perused the large section on gardening.

I was quite tempted to purchase a few but decided to simply take down some notes.

Here are some basic vegetable gardening tips I learned (for you seasoned vegetable gardeners out there, I suspect you'll want to skip this post):
  • Most fruits and vegetables needs full sun to grow.
  • It's good to rotate crops even in a small vegetable garden.
  • Some vegetables prefer cooler weather. These can be planted both in the Spring and in early Fall.
  • Compost is the key to a great vegetable garden.
  • Never water tomatoes with an over-head sprinkler, always water them at their base.
  • To allow plants to grow deep roots, water thoroughly when you water, then hold off for several days before watering again.
  • The best time to water vegetables is early morning, so the soil can warm-up before the cooler evening hours.

I will share more of my novice gardening tips as the season goes by.

1 comments:

ccmhats said...

If I could only have a single gardening book, I would choose "Garden Primer" by Barbara Damrosch... great introduction to organic gardening, organized alphabetically by intuitive groups (fruits/vegetables/herbs/annuals/perennials).

See if your library carries a copy!

Post a Comment