Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fall Garden with Square Foot Gardening - Updated

My fall vegetable garden is looking great!

The arugula and radish look about ready to eat; the lettuces, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, kale, and asian greens (Mibuna mustard greens and Prize Choy bok choi) are all coming along quite nicely. And the winter squashes (Burgess Buttercup winter squash, Uchiki Kuri winter squash, and Delicata winter squash) are just beautiful small plants with large leaves that are growing rapidly.

I’ve also just planted the peas along side my tomato plants (I'm hoping to train the vines up my tomato cage) and planted more of the lettuce, arugula, and radishes alongside my broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage plants -- I'm trying to master companion planting after reading Mel Bartholomew’s All New Square Foot Gardening and Better Homes and Gardens Step-By-Step Successful Gardening.
I've also just updated my fall garden map. Take a look:



What do you think?

2 comments:

kaatvds said...

Neat!
We're planning our veg garden for next spring and have started digging the soil so we can amend it with mulch and compost over the winter.
We're impressed by Mel's approach - we have the old book - but I was uncertain about how to plan it out. Your layout is so clear and systematic: I'll use something like that myself.
Happy harvesting,
Katrien
http://blog.bolandbol.com

bookworm said...

Thanks Katrien!

I'll look forward to reading about your square foot garden!

Post a Comment