Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September Songs: The Good News about Marriage in the Later Years by Maggie Scarf

Still trying to catch up on back issues of The Economist, but I couldn't resist reading part of the current issue dated August 30, 2008.

In "It gets better, or so they say" from the Books & Arts section, I read about Maggie Scarf's new book September Songs: The Good News about Marriage in the Later Years.

Maggie Scarf is a journalist, author, a visiting fellow at Yale University's  Whitney Humanities Center and a writer in residence at Yale University's Jonathan Edwards College.

I haven't read any of her other books (Unfinished Business: Pressure Points in the Lives of Women, Intimate Partners: Patterns in Love and Marriage, Intimate Worlds: How Families Thrive and Why They Fail, and Secrets, Lies, Betrayals: How the Body Holds the Secrets of a Life, and How to Unlock Them) but reading about her latest book makes me think that I would be interested in reading several of her works.

I am surprised by the book's conclusion that marriage in later year improves and I would like to learn more about the studies that Scarf describes.

Click here to read a synopsis from the author's website.

0 comments:

Post a Comment