Monday, October 20, 2008

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie

Just heard that Hugh Laurie -- of the FOX tv show House MD -- published a comic spy novel in 1996: The Gun Seller. It's supposed to be a spoof of the spy novel genre, inspired by authors like Robert Ludlum.

I did enjoy actor-writer Ethan Hawke's Ash Wednesday and Steve Martin's Shopgirl: a Novella (one of my all-time favorite books) so I'm willing to consider reading Laurie's The Gun Seller -- and not just write it off as another actor's attempt at being a writer.

Click here to read an excerpt and click here to read Christopher Buckley's New York Times book review published June 8, 1997 titled "Bertie Wooster Meets James Bond."

Hopefully my library carries it!

1 comments:

Jeffrey Puukka said...

Stumbled accross your entry. Perhaps you've read the thing yourself, by now. If not, I've been reading "The Gun Seller" and have been enjoying it very much. Perhaps I'm biased, being a fan of the likes of Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, and an anglophile to boot.

I'd love to give a full report, but I've still got about twenty pages to go. All I can say is for an actor's attempt at writing, it's a very good book. And for anybody's attempt at writing, it's the same book, and not bad at that. (At least, from page 1 to page 20-more-until-the-end, it's been worth the $10 or whatever I paid for it.)

Cheers,

-J.P.

Post a Comment